Gig at Twilight Café

When Ifa offered me the chance to play for a gathering at Twilight Café, it was quite a hilarious moment for me. First, I heard "Toilet Cafe" instead of "Twilight". "It's ridiculous, who would name a cafe like that". I would have laughed at the name, but then I realized that my youngest sister once told me about her hanging out at TC Kemang. Then it dawned on me that it was "twilight".

Then I remembered that I needed money quite badly, but I hesitantly put a quite friendly rate for this gig. Of course, because I'm not very good at giving out my rate. I'd like to help people with tight budget by giving a discount, but I would not decline a good offer. Then I said to Ifa that I mighy accept a slightly higher pay than my gig before at her engangement party.

I can recall that night well, at least for two reasons. First, the invitation to play at a famous café (even for a birthday party). Later that night, someone I've been missing for two years reconnected to my near void life. She was the first person I told all of my anxiety about playing in this hip place, in front of guests who are mostly strangers to my eyes.

Then came sunday morning. I'd confirmed for my appearance at 5 pm, but then Mrs Rani, the cafe's co-owner, phoned me to come earlier at 3 pm. She said that the party would start at 5 instead of 7, so I'd better show up at before 4 pm to set up the keyboard and sound system.

After playing at my own family gathering, a gig I called a practise for the big show, I excused myself and asking blessing from my extended family: uncles and aunts, cousins, and nieces that I'd play greatly. Most of them seemed amused by the way I dressed. Quite formal was my overall appearance, just to endorse the statement that I took this occassion seriously.

Sound check took just about half an hour because I didn't need to configure a lot of instruments. The difficult thing was to arrange the position of my keyboard among other things such as a baby grand and some stage speakers and mic stands, especially on such limited space. Things got even more complicated when I should spare enough room for a 'special guest singer' who whould do Inul's gyrating dance.

Filling the musical ambiance in the cafe before the big show started, I played a number of easy listening tunes of various genres. After a couple of swings and boleros, I started to spice up 'Happy Birthday' with some jazzy groove, just to add the birthday party atmosphere in this classic place.

As the night grew, more songs were requested. With help from few 'prominent' singers among the guests, my music gave away a happy mood through the hours. I was cheered up to hear the applause especially when the crowd asked for more.

One thing about playing solo keyboard especially in that kind of occasion is one should easily and readily switch context from one song to another. Although much could be accomplished with a couple of strokes on keyboard buttons, the creativity to arrange a song differently is crucial. Sometimes the whole new arrangement is needed when one don't have an accompaniment that sounds exactly like the original arrangement. But other times, one just need to give a new flavor to a song which he has played over and over again or to better suit the mood of the occasion.

While I was enjoying my shortbreak, Mrs Rani got me to rush back to the stage to play for another guest singer. Apparently he was a member of Wong Pitoe, I forgot what his name was - I was THAT bad with names. However, I did remember exactly what he sang that night. Easy, a simple ballad from Lionel Richie/Faith No More, Hey Jude from the Beatles, and as an encore Oh darling, also from the Beatles. Despite my mediocre piano-mode playing, the performance gained a hot applause from the crowd.

My four-hour show finally finished - gradually - around nine. I said gradually because eventhough the host had said some parting words and bid farewell, some guests were still lingering in their seats. While chit chatting, some of them requested their personal favorites, which in turn prolonged my gig. Well, just keep the customers satisfied.

Comments

Popular Posts