He deserves it

I was dragging a shopping cart, together the three of us - me and my brother and sister - were ready to stock it with next month's supply in Lebak Bulus Carrefour when we found a crowd in front of Indovision promotion booth. The news of the ailing Indonesian former president this past 24 days had led me to think about the worst. And yes, the smiling general had finally passed away at 1.10 pm, just minutes after we left home.

I could still joke about how some people out there predicted that he might die on their holiday, or at least they'd announce the day he died as a holiday, in reference of some Russian Die Laughing jokes. Whilst pushing the cart along the aisles, I kinda hoped that this hypermarket would give a special discount rate on account of the historic day. My mind even wondered if the next week, not only would the government announce it a national mourning week, but they make it 5 days of common compulsory leave, or even better, grant a week of extra leave.

We spent about an hour, and paid 793500 rupiahs for the stuffs. Just as we reached our car in the parking lot, I realized that the sky had turned grey, later black. Then I remember the saying some folks say about how heaven would grief when someone, that heaven loves, dies.

When we got home, most local channels, and some regional channels featured the life of this controversial figure. Everytime someone brought up his mistakes as the subject, most likely someone else emphasized the great dedication the Kemusuk-born rendered to his country.

Finally I flew the two-color half-mast.That's the least I could do. He just deserves it.








Comments

Popular Posts