I just saw Lemony Snicket's The Series of Unfortunate Events ...

... on DVD and it's awesome. First, I could see Jim Carrey back in his typical character, someone with overly articulated body gestures and facial expressions. He is best at playing wicked and silly characters like the Mask, the pet detective, the Grinch, and now, Count Olaf. I'd say he should stick to that kind of character and leave those 'normal people' casts to other actors.

This movie is not all about this crazy ill-humored nobleman with acting impulse. It is also about morals, something that might be amazing especially from a writer whose name sounds like a character from Harry Potter.

Read a lot
Something that look like a series of unfortunate events at the beginning might be a first step to adventure
Infants, even those who cannot do anything but bite things, might be helpful


You might also find answers to those questions that have been haunting our childhood.

How do we burn something from afar without using expensive and traceable fuel or bombs?
What's the difference between irrational and rational fears?
Why do people have to wait for at least an hour after meals before going swimming?
What is Pasta Puttanesca?


One of his best scenes in The Series of Unfortunate Events is when he mimicks a T-rex walking around and devoring flesh. Another one is when he gets sentenced by enduring all of unfortunate experience that the Baudelaire orphans endured before. I chuckle deep down inside whenever I picture those scenes in my head.

Among of other things that I like about this movie is the grr-reat color scheme. It makes me want to hit 'Capture' button of my DVD Player to get the sepia toned panorama (from the scene where the kids paddle accross Lake Lachrymose), psychedelic green swamps (when the banker take the kids away from Count Olaf after he almost get them hit by a rushing train), and those silhouettes, especially the one in the credit scene.

To further extent, I even dream to have my bedroom redecorated in The Series of Unfortunate Series theme, with walls painted with those silhouttes of Count Olaf and Baudelaire orphans, Lake Lachrymose in sepia, green swamps, and an old wooden bed, and eye-shaped window.

Finally, I could say this another movie that I want my kids to see, after Little Rascals and Babe.

Comments

Popular Posts