In Search of JCo Donuts

Blogwalking could be a very dangerous activity.

Perhaps every blog should display a big red banner that says "Beware: Reading this blog may generate uncontrollable curiousity to about objects the owner write reviews about"

So let me among those bloggers who are conscious about any damage that their posts may cause to the readers by putting this sign.


Beware: Reading this blog may generate uncontrollable curiousity to about objects the owner write reviews about


That is just another way for me to blame those blogs which review JCo Donuts and display huge pictures of them and depict how those donuts are gifts of heaven on and on and on. They devilishly cause me to have mental instability to a level where I begin to daydream even get gravely obsessed about these recent innovation which some say is a tough match for Krispy Kreme.

My first attempt is to get someone to witness the moment. Siska, surprisingly knew nothing about JCo phenomenon. This is a serious problem. My belief in its powerful brand is shaken. So I take a preemptive strike by explaining to her all about this crazyness which have affected the rest of Jakarta for at least half a year. After writing that last sentence, It dawned on me that I shouldn't even bragging about how up-to-date I am. The only reference being only reviews I read, slowly but sure I inject her mind with illusions of how delicious those donuts are. Within half an hour, I turn her into a believer. However, the follow-up is a little bit disappointing. I could not make an appointment with her to do the search later that evening. Surprisingly, the next day, by not much effort, she got to taste them first before I do.

The pupil gets enlighted before the master does.

This obsession grow even stronger day after day. Finally, in one good day my chance arrived. With the companionship of my sister which turns out to be as crazy as I am about getting a piece of JCo donuts, we take a hike to the nearest spot where we could get them: Cilandak Town Square.


Don't look directy at the sign, you'll get hyphotized!

When I look the length of the queue, I was a little bit shocked. It was a sight I didn't expect in a Thursday afternoon.

First timers always take as much time as they could, lingering by stacks of freshly baked donuts, wondering which variety of donut suits them well. The process of obeservation, hesitation, and consideration over which one to buy always add queuing time. As a customer lingers around, the line grows longer and longer. Seeing this long line, passers-by would assume that these donuts are worth the wait. Damn consumer psychology!

While standing in line, I chatted with Isma and our discussion came to a conclusion: we would do a serious damage to this shop if what the donuts turn out to be not as delicious as the ads. Then one thing crossed my mind: hell, JCo doesn't advertise these donuts. It's the power of viral marketing, where one recommends a product to others which finally create a buzz and, like the flutists lead those helpless mice into the sea, lead people to enter the hysteria of JCo.

I thought I have prepared a mental list of which type of donuts to buy, but once it was my turn to make choice, the list suddenly self-destructs and I had to start in all over again. Every one of them seems delicious and begs me to taste it. Look at these precious babies.






That's why they put them behind a glass shield, to prevent drool drops on them. Finally Isma and I came to a decision to buy a dozen of various types with two favorite types among them, Alcapone and Cheese Me Up. I hope they doesn't taste as ridiculous as they're called. We expect to get free glazed donuts with our drink order.


My very first box of JCo donuts


I think I should apply for a copywriter and get paid for everything that I'm about to write.




Isma gets a first bite


As soon as we sat down in the couch and get a bite of glazed donut, it was a whole new world of gourmet experience. They are as tender, as moist, as delicious as I ever imagined. As each of us only gets one free donut, we sneaked into the properly sealed box of donuts which at first we intended to eat at home and grabbed four more. With Torajan coffee and lemon tea at side, the rite of consuming afternoon snack had never been the same.


Me, one Torajan coffee and three donuts later


To completely endorse my status as a sucker of JCo, I bought another half a dozen of AlCapone and Cheese Me Up. I could get these without having to redo standing in line for an hour ritual. This is actually a trick you people should try. When you only want to enjoy a couple of donuts with a drink, don't bother join the queue. Just go right to the drink counter, pick a drink and get a free glazed donuts. Not only that, you could also order other types of donuts along with them.



Whoever left this unfinished donut should be punished for a crime against humanity


As I left the scene, past the queue which had added length about 1 mile, I passed by, FANFARE ... the mastermind of this donut addiction, the very person of Johny Andrean himself. This the man I love to hate, for causing all the troubles I had encountered all the way from my house to Cilandak Town Square. This is the god of Donut (Heaven should open this post somehow someday) which had gathered the flock of sugar-crazed souls into his temple of self-indulgence. Timid as always, I kept the awe feeling to myself. But, if I have to redo it, I would shake his hand and say "You, evil genius!"


Citos at dusk

Comments

Popular Posts