Noman (Nontong bareng Teman): Final Destination 3

If I haven't seen its two prequels, should I watch this movie? I asked this question to one of my friends who asked me to come see Final Destination 3 last Thursday. The timing was rather odd, as I usually go to cinema on Friday night or Monday night. The timing was also unsuitable for most of my online chat room friends so that no one else could come join us.

Final Destination 3 shares the same theme with its prequels, which is escaping death.

I'm one of people who believe that when the final curtain comes, no one could shift the time even to a second ahead or a second after. I also believe that all that live would eventually die, sooner or later, but we would experience the moment differently. The movie, in a way, reaffirmed my belief. Although, the movie tried to defy God's involvement in life and death, at least those two principles hold true in the movie.


Quote (from imdb)
Ian McKinley: Equal...in death's eyes? All of us? How can you say that? Dude, think it through: Charlie Manson, made it to 70, Osama, still kicking. Pimps, vice presidents, walking around, all the atrocities they've committed, they're alive and well. These two girls, who never did shit to anybody, they don't get to make it to 18. Where's the fucking equality in that?


After seeing horrible scenes of violent death in the roller coaster, I got mixed up feelings. In one hand, I had just started enjoying playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, especially its rollercam feature which enables users to experience the ride. In the other hand, the latent risks of the ride such as cars go off track, hidraulic oil leakage causes large friction which leads to cars inability to complete a loop, and restraint bars get loose in the middle of the track, make me very uneasy about trying such rides.

Small incidents leading to fatality which is portrayed often in the movie remind me The Butterfly Effect. The very first time I encountered this term, it was applied to Numerical Method context. My professor explained that minor discrepancy will turn in into major gap after iterations. It is like a tiny butterfly batting its wings in one side of Pacific Ocean causes a big storm in the other side of the ocean.

However, death shouldn't be always violent like in this movie. It could also be peaceful, imaginative and romantic, like Edward Bloom's in Big Fish.

Comments

Popular Posts