My Other Idea of Happiness

Dealing with a wide variety of sumptuos foods and drinks in a banquet, I must enlist my priority. Focus, focus, focus. Do not put too much food on your plate because you don't want people start to think that you're that starving especially in the scene where there are people who often give opinion to others (like elders, or girls). In the other hand, don't put too little food because you simply want to impress people that you're on a diet or something. People hate that. You're not making an impression to others, you're making them feel guilty for breaking their diet rules in this special occasion; that is an occasion where people think it's okay to skip diet.

That's why I apply my own rules. Take only food you like that you rarely find on your daily basis. Simple. Yet it'll save your dignity. That's why I skip rice, or take only a small amount of it. You know Indonesians eat rice everyday. I have eaten many types of rice. Best, medium, worst, I've tasted them all. In addition, too much rice will hinder you from enjoying other dishes because it's full of carbohydrates and fibres and stuffs. Briefly speaking, unless you have an unlimited space in your belly, spare the room for special dishes only.

Meat and chicken is another thing to be careful with. I'm trying to cut off meat, or to be honest with you guys, I avoid red meat if it's possible. I mean I like it but I realize how high my bad cholesterol level will be if I take a large portion of it. I'm 25 and I know that my metabolism is changing greatly within these years of my life. I cannot stand having a pot belly. You can say «Work out», but I don't work out because this moment I don't have much time to do sport. My only routine is walking a lot. That's why I choose better eat behavior as my solution to a healthier life.

If both meat and chicken are served, 9/10 chances I'll choose chicken simply because it's meat but it's not red. In other words, chicken is meat that I can enjoy. But wait a second, if you think that all parts of chicken is safe to eat, I might say that you're such an innocent ignorant person. Only breasts and wings are okay because in those parts, fat is much lower than in other parts. And please, oh My God please, peel off the chicken. The skin is the bad guy. The fat could kill you slowly. How the chicken is cooked should also taken into consideration. Deep fried chicken is not very good for your health especially when non double saturated cooking oild is used. «Oh dear God, forgive me for I have sinned. I went to KFC last week.» Better choices are sauteed, roasted, or steamed chickens. «I feel sorry for people whose only choice is steamed chicken.»

One small yet important thing that still keep wondering: Why do Indonesians serve rijstaffel in a wedding party but provide no chair? How am I supposed to eat a plate of satays and lontong while standing? That's an acrobatic routine that I still find difficult to do. Does the host forget that in a standing party only drinks and cookies are served, not a complete meal? Most of the times, the number of chairs are much less than the number of the guests. So sometimes it's like the singing chair game where we should compete to get a chair to sit on. Once you get one, do your best to defend it because there are other guests who's trying to take any unattended chair. When you have a need to leave your seat, ask someone you trust to take care of it for you or better, someone you know that have balls to chase away any invader.



Comments

Popular Posts