At Terrace Golf Villa, Puncak

Apparently, I've been chosen as official new year's performer at this resort hotel. After last year's debut, two weeks before 2003 ended, I've got a phone call from the owner. "So, could you make it?" I couldn't say no. What could a humble person expect more, after a free stay in a 2-bed room, free meal, free ride, and a thank-you-very-much-well-done-come-again check? It's like paid vacation, only better.

So after 2-hour drive along puncak winding road, we got there. Gosh. It seems yesterday I've just checked out from this room. How a year's gone by.

The only disappoinment was that there was less firework launching for me this new year's eve. Half an hour before midnight, the host handed out one firework to each person in the hall. I got mine too. One? What's this? Suddenly my entire new year's eve happiness should depend on this single firework which might not launch at all? I put it in a bouquet of flowers. So there it was, disguised among red snapdragons. Anyway I definitely could not go outside and light it on, simply because I've got to rest my fingers on the keyboard, ready to play a medley of "Auld Lang Syne"s in various music styles.

"Sepuluh ... Sembilan ... Delapan ... Tujuh ... Enam ... Lima ... Empat ... Tiga ... Dua ... Satu! Selamat Tahun Baru!"

Lights went dim. As darkness prevailed, each piano key depressed filled the hall with this widely popular new year tune. I played in Ballad, Big Band, Slow Jazz, and Latin style for about ten minutes. There went my chance to play with my one and only firework.

To give a melancholy mood, I chose "Satu Jam Saja" as the finale of that night's performance.

Jangan berakhir
Kuingin sebentar lagi
Satu jam saja
Izinkan aku merasa
Rasa itu pernah ada

Comments

Popular Posts